Aerobatics Server

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] [Fwd: A friend needs help]

[International Aerobatic Club] [Articles etc] [Communications] [Contest and Patch Information] [Aviation Organizations] [Other Aerobatics Info] [Aerobatics Images] [Other Aerobatics Links] [Other Aviation Info (including weather)] [Search ACRO Website]

ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] [Fwd: A friend needs help]

From: Rob Dorsey <rob at dorseyaero.com>

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:03:42 UTC

Message:

-------- Original Message --------
 Subject: A friend needs help
    Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:01:34 -0700
    From: Budd Davisson <buddairbum at home.com>

Folks,
One of aviation's true friends and contributors needs help. He needs us
to send our opinions to those in control and let them know how we feel
about what is happening to him.

I'll make this brief: Elwood "Woody" Menear, a Captain for U. S. Airways
made the mistake of explaining (in conversational tones, according to
witnesses) to a supervisor who challenged him at a security check point
in Philadelphia that it was silly to hand search airline pilots, once
they were proven to be who they claimed to be.

His point was that the airline pilots already had control of the
airplane and whether they were carrying tweezers or not was a moot
point.

This was a true and obvious statement, but the young security person
decided it was a threat and Woody was lead away in handcuffs.

The FBI has yet to file charges, although they have three years in which
to do so.

At this point Woody is suspended and expected to be fired by U. S.
Airways, as they try to run from possible public response to one of
their pilots being pictured on the news in handcuffs.

"Unintended consequences" is the phrase that best suits this situation.
Yes, increased security measure are important. No, they should not be
allowed to get out of hand.

The best thing we can do for Woody is to let U.S. Airways know that we
think they've let the pendulum swing too far the wrong direction. Menear
is well known within aviation as a pilot and an aircraft builder and
restorer. He is also the kind of person you want in the cockpit when the
chips are down. We can't let him suffer because of a security person who
is having a bad day.

Send something to the effect of:

"I feel U. S. Airways should let the facts of the Captain Elwood Menear
situation speak for themselves and let Captain Menear continue flying
for the airline, which is in the best interest of both U.S. Airways and
the flying public."

The important names and e-mail addresses are listed below.

I apologize to those who received this inadvertently, but I had no way
of trimming my address book down.

Budd Davisson

If you find this as important as I do, please forward it to everyone on
your mailing list.

Mailing address:
JOHN C. HONOR, VP HUMAN RESOURCES
US AIRWAYS CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS
2345 CRYSTAL DRIVE
ARLINGTON VA 22227
703-872-7000 (PHONE)
John_Honor at usairways.com

CHAIRMAN AND CEO
STEPHEN WOLF
PH ? 703-872-7096  (SECRETARY)
FAX ? 703-872-5252
E-MAIL:  Stephen_Wolf at usairways.com

DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
DAVID CASTELVETER
FAX ? 703-872-5134
E-MAIL:  David_Castelveter at usairways.com

CAPTAIN DON MATTHEWS
REGIONAL DIRECTOR FLYING-PHL
US AIRWAYS INC
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
PHILADELPHIA PA 19153
FAX ? 610-362-7909
Don_Matthews at usairways.com

FAXED LETTERS ARE PREFERRED, HOWEVER, EITHER IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PLEASE CC: skyclassics at paonline.com

Attachement 1: part2.html

If you have aerobatics related information that you would like to make available, please contact me at the email address below.

Last Update: Fri May 4 13:13:03 2012

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Retired Email Guenther Eichhorn