ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Looking for a pitts in Hawaii

Message: RE: [IAC] Looking for a pitts in Hawaii

From: "Brent Rogers" <Brent.Rogers at CIBC.COM>

Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:10:43 UTC

Message:

  Hi John,

I don't recall his initial but he was a retired Northwest captain and had (if I
recall all this correctly) time in a lot of interesting types including I think
F4U's and other interesting stuff I'll probably never get to fly.
He retire to Hawaii and set up Soar Hawaii and as he explained it found out he
wasn't really retired at all so sold the business to the current owner but
continued to instruct there on a casual basis.
I was there on a business convention sort of deal and had never flown a glider
before but thought it would be a good opportunity.
I did an hour in the Grob with him ridge soaring just to learn a bit and get the
feel of the machine etc. then landed and we got towed up again and did 0.5 or so
aerobatics in it. Different experience than powered aerobatics. LOTS of rudder
in roll due to the long arm with ailerons way out there and for some reason I
had a tendancy to let the nose drop while inverted despite knowing it would take
plenty of forward stick. No rudder in loops and a/s builds pretty fast on the
downside if you don't keep the stick right back throught the loop (as I recall).
I enjoyed it and could have ridge soared all day if I'd had the time and $'s.
I think I have his e-mail address at home or you could send c/o soarhi at lava.net
if you wanted

Brent Rogers
Toronto