ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] proposed rules and IAC Democracy

From: "Don Peterson" <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:07:03 UTC

Message:

  Doug,

" I intend to direct my comments (when I figure out what they are) to Brian
and to my area director. ..."

You might want to take the time to write all of the directors and not just
your "area" director.  As all directors are elected at large rather than
regionally, the "area director" concept is something of a hollow idea.  Not
that the fellows aren't interested, it is just that we don't really have a
representative democracy in this case.  Based upon conversations with
several directors, it is clear to me that they view themselves as
representing the membership at large, and not just the area that they are
arbitrarily assigned to.  This means that if they get many comments
supporting a proposed rule from areas other than the one to which they are
assigned, and only yours against it from your area, theoretically they would
feel motivated to support the rule.  Hence, it is best to voice your
opinions to all of the directors simultaneously.

In fact, nobody has really explained to me what the advantages are of not
having regionally elected directors, except for lowering the cost and
avoiding logistical hassles.  I've never heard an explanation that made it
sound like we would receive a better represented membership, and I always
thought that was the primary goal of electing representatives.  In fact, our
current plan makes it rather hard for any area to remove someone when they
feel particularly strong about an issue.  Maybe that is the main goal.  Hard
to remove someone.

Oh well.

Don