ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [IAC] Exhibition Restrictions

Message: Re: [IAC] Exhibition Restrictions

From: "William Wade" <chipmunk at uninets.net>

Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:03:30 UTC

Message:

     I know this document as 8130.27. A key provision is 3(b), which
grandfathers any aircraft which had a Special Airworthiness Cert prior to
July 9, 1993. Mine was imported in 1985 and the limitations are minimal-
about the same as a homebuilt. One big difference is that anything more than
routine maintenance has to be approved by an A&P. At first I thought it was
Experimental so I could work on anything I wanted. Not so said the
inspector.
  I have no proficiency area, no requirement to notify the FSDO on long
trips. I've been told by other warbird owners that it's no big deal though-
you just tell them what event you're going to and that's it.
  If the plane is pre-Moratorium you do not have to have restrictions that
comply with 8130.27 "unless specifically requested by the applicant." (3b).
I got a new Airworthiness Cert. last year and my new limitations are
essentially the same as before, except now: "Aerobatic maneuvers intended to
be performed must be satisfactorily accomplished and recorded in the
aircraft records."  Before it was limited to those in the RCAF Operating
Instructions.
  The Limitations are required to be carried in the plane with the
Airworthiness Cert. Your friend should should be able to check them out to
see what they might be for that specific aircraft.  -Bill

'Super' Chipmunk N18EF