ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Tires for Pitts S-1

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith" <petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:20:06 UTC

Message:

Interesting, I've heard other people complain about tire wear but my S-1T
has 300 hours on a pair of Goodyear 6 ply tires and they are only now in
need of replacement. That's a minimum of 600 landings/take-offs, and
probably more like 800.

So why would these tires last so long on my plane and not on some other S-1?
I fly off a paved runway. Could take-off, landing technique make such a big
difference? Or is perhaps a slight rigging difference accounting for
more/less wear? Perhaps bungee gear v.s. solid gear makes a difference?

I run my tires at 35 PSI as per the POH.

Peter