ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Tires for Pitts S-1

From: "Paul B. Stambaugh" <pstambau at yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:49:33 UTC

Message:

  Runway surface would also be a big contributor.

--- Peter Ashwood-Smith <petera at nortelnetworks.com>
wrote:

> Interesting, I've heard other people complain about
> tire wear but my S-1T
> has 300 hours on a pair of Goodyear 6 ply tires and
> they are only now in
> need of replacement. That's a minimum of 600
> landings/take-offs, and
> probably more like 800.
>
> So why would these tires last so long on my plane
> and not on some other S-1?
> I fly off a paved runway. Could take-off, landing
> technique make such a big
> difference? Or is perhaps a slight rigging
> difference accounting for
> more/less wear? Perhaps bungee gear v.s. solid gear
> makes a difference?
>
> I run my tires at 35 PSI as per the POH.
>
> Peter

=====
Paul Stambaugh - IAC Chapter 88
Pitts S1-S  N34RM "Psycho Therapy"
SkyTours Aerobatics - The Ultimate Aerobatic Experience
www.skytoursaerobatics.8m.com
Ann Arbor, MI & Toledo, OH
Phone: Days, Office (810)-986-0389, Evenings (419) 269-0626
Cell:  248-705-8495