ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Flop tube and other questions

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:17:59 UTC

Message:

  A Pitts can be landed in a few inches of crusty snow, although I wouldn't want
much of a cross-wind.  I did it at Warren (Sugarbush) Vermont a few times,
where there are no runway lights and acres of level grass on both sides of the
runway.  Don't even think about using brakes.  If the runway isn't long enough
for the snow to give you all the braking action you need, don't do it.  If you
can, it would be wise to remove the wheel pants.

Good luck and have fun.

Hans VanAmsterdam <hans_pitts at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Dear Jim,
Thank you very much for your reply. After changing
bungees and the fuel pump, I know exactly what you
mean. Now I am joking that the landing is the easy
part, the maintenance is the sporty part of the Pitts.
There is too much engine in too little cowling.
Do you own your S1S since new? Over here (near Geneva
in Switzerland) it is maintenance season. Our airfield
is covered with snow. Do you or somebody have
experience in landing a Pitts on a few inches of
crusty
snow?
Thanks a lot,
             Hans.