ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Question: Pitts wings w/ plywood L.E.

From: klick at APS.ANL.GOV

Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 02:51:06 UTC

Message:

  >Paul,

From the other responses, I conclude that the aluminum L/E
on Pitts airplanes is a new idea. My factory S1S, built in
1973, has wooden leading edges.
The technical questions regarding weight, stiffness, etc.,
I leave to those with more Pitts experience than I.

Jim Klick
S1S N9JT (flew today... 35 years since the great Chicago
          blizzard, and it was 60 F. waiting for the other
          shoe)

I've seen several Pitts S-1S with plywood leading edges on the wings.