ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Fitting in a Pitts S1

From: N1BZRich at aol.com

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:39:27 UTC

Message:

In a message dated 2/8/2002 8:11:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
england at visuallink.com writes:

> The wind noises don't bother you?
> Tim

Tim,
       No, the wind noise with no canopy on my S1S does not bother me,
although after flying fighters for 28 years in the Air Force my hearing is
not the best.  I use a David Clarke headset with gel filled ear pieces and
the David Clarke cloth helmet.  At one point I converted one of my form
fitted light weight military helmets to use civilian mic and earphones, but I
didn't like it at all with the open cockpit (may be OK with a canopy - but
you are too tall for that).  Whenever I leaned my head outside the windscreen
area the slipstream seemed to want to "center" my head back inside, and I
didn't like that feeling at all.  I guess I am just too used to looking
around / "checking six".  This does not happen with the cloth helmet setup.
When flying in a box I don't tend to stick my head "outside" into the
slipstream, so the hard helmet may work OK for competition (and would be
safer), but just flying around the local area I look outside a lot - you need
to see the bogies.
       Bottom line, as tall as you are you may have to fly a Pitts open
cockpit, so don't let that stop you.  The noise is not a problem with a good
headset and noise canceling mic.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich
N1BZ