ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Landing Pitts for first time

From: jeffery at texas.net

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 00:14:43 UTC

Message:

  Miki,

Congratulations on getting your dream machine going!  However, me thinks your
day could have just as easily ended in a very different scenario.  Slight
differences in rigging, control set-up, tail-wheel adjustment, etc. have
significant affects on landing characteristics and roll-out stability.  A Pitts
that has just been put back together may have a few "issues" that need
attention.  Not the kind of thing you want layered on top of normal Pitts
characteristics, especially for someone that has not seen what marginal
flare/roll-out vs. better-go-around behavior is for this airplane.  Your friend
may be VERY good, but I'd say today, he was also damn lucky.  The S2-B is not
terribly difficult or dangerous, but definitely needs some learned finesse to
repeatably put back into the hangar in one piece.

Jeffery Poehlmann
Pitts S2-B  N53385