ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: 1000 hour on Extra 300

From: "LV" <zsolt at earthlink.net>

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 06:34:59 UTC

Message:

  I don't know the answer, however I can recommend some contacts.

The first place to try would be Aerosport in Florida
http://www.aerosport.com/. They were the US exclusive distributors of Extra
aircraft. They have a good service I understand, and I only heard good
things about them.

The second place would be Extra Flugzeugbau in Germany
www.extraflugzeugbau.com . - but don't expect too much there.

Unfortunatelly Walter Extra abandoned it's quest for aerobatic excellence a
few years ago and is trying to fly high with his business plane the 400 (of
which the first one crashed on it's way home from the factory - pilot error
they say).

 It is almost impossible to get an answer from the factory, they have an
arrogant attitude - especially towards us foolish American aerobatic
pilots - but also toward their best pilots - I hear. They are also
extremelly money hungry. I had to hire a German attorney to get the VAT tax
back from them, which they should not have charged me in the first place.
(and they should know, since they live from export business)

All of the original employees left the factory already, which should also
signal something.

In 1999 they were unable to provide me a rental plane - despite the promise
of their marketing manager - for the European Championships. I prepared,
trained and traveled there for nothing!

Bottom line: Walter made great planes - some of the best, but lost his
interest in the aerobatic business, and this can be felt unmistakenly in all
the actions of the factory.

Good luck!

Les Vorosmarthy
300S owner