ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Pitts groundloop damage?

From: Klusmanp at aol.com

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:08:48 UTC

Message:

  Dear Pitts folks:

I'm considering buying a Pitts S-1S that has been groundlooped. Apparently
the logs mention "minor landing gear damage" due to groundloop in 1981. The
original builder repaired the damage and also tore the engine down and
balanced and overhauled the prop at this time. I'll be looking at the plane
this weekend or next.  I'll look for covering patches on the lower wing tips
and check for the plane being straight by taking measurements from the tail
post to the wing tips. Is there anything else I should look for?

Yes I WILL have the plane fully inspected by a qualified A&P before I decide
to buy it. This leads me to my next question:

Anybody know a good Pitts mechanic in the Tulsa, OK area? I've thought about
contacting Monte Barret - he'd certainly be a good man to look at the engine.

Thanks,
Paul Klusman