ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Metal vs. Wood Again

From: "Eric Minnis" <acroeric at mebtel.net>

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:31:14 UTC

Message:

  	Several months ago I purchased a very nice Swick Clipped Wing
Taylorcraft. It is one of only a handful that are still certified (not
experimental). I have been flying aerobatics in it and pull a max of +5
and -2 g's. I am just learning aerobatics and it seems perfect for the
task.  It weighs 797 empty and has a little 0-200 that pulls it along
really well. I get great climb (1100 fpm) and decent cruise (105mph).
	My plane also has metal spars. I have read several posts before
about the pro's and con's of wood vs. metal and I wanted to ask again.
The spars in my plane are the piper extrusions like used in the super
cub. Back when it was converted, spruce was really hard to come by so
Mike Swick added the metal spar option to the STC. I have heard several
opinions but never an answer based on data or real engineering tests. I
feel that it is overbuilt considering the empty weight and light
aerobatic weight (1100 lbs.) Anyone with experience on this one?

Eric Minnis
N43740 Swick Tcraft
IAC 0605999