ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Box markers - suggestions on how to ...

From: Brian Howard <BK at newattaero.com>

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:34:06 UTC

Message:

  Peter,

>Anybody got any clever ideas on the simplest way to make a box marker?

One of the easiest types of markers to put out are made of sail cloth with
metal grommets sewn into the corners and along the sides. Small "camping
tent" type stakes can then be driven into the grommets to secure the panels
on to the ground. Makes it even easier if you have the T's and L's premade
so you don't have to deal with all the individual panels. After the contest,
throw the markers in the wash and you'll have a set of nice white markers
the next time you need them. You can either have the markers sewn by a
professional, or find a willing chapter member volunteer.

For markers which are permanently left out, painted concrete pads are the
gold standard, but more practical (and cheaper!) are either painted sheets
of corrugated aluminum, or white plastic 55-gal drums which have been cut in
half lengthwise and then staked to the ground. Two or three drums have to be
laid end-to-end to make the markers long enough. The plastic drums can be
bought new, but depending on where you live, finding a supply company may be
hard or easy.

>Also, anybody know the width of the lines? I've only seen absolute
>dimensions mentioned.

The "official" dimensions for each rectangular panel making up a T or L, is
2m x 9m. Most chapters don't go that large, however. I've found that making
each panel 3' x 9' provides good visibility from the air. I would let the
width be driven by the width of the fabric bolts so it doesn't have to be cut.

Best,

Brian Howard

Brian K Howard, CFI                         BK at NewAttAero.com
Chair, IAC Rules Committee              voice: 520.360-ROLL
Editor, IAC Heads Up! Column           fax: 801.912.7069
FAI, National, & Teaching Judge
Extra 300/L, N343BH

                         New Attitude Aerobatics
                 "Confidence Building For All Pilots"