ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Box markers - suggestions on how to ...

From: "Jeffery Poehlmann" <jeffery at texas.net>

Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:35:08 UTC

Message:

Box markers - suggestions on how to make them?Something I learned from the Cajuns is the use of woven poly cloth for boundary markers.  This material is used to make bags for holding rice, feed, grains and so forth.  It can be purchased by the foot from a supplier of bagging materials and containers.  (I found one in the Yellow Pages.)  The material usually comes as a tube that is laid flat and rolled onto a spool.  When I first purchased enough of this to make two sets of markers, a truck showed up and the driver proceeded to unwind one continuous length off of a gigantic spool.   The spool didn't rotate, so the length of fabric had about 500 twists in it.  Great fun on a windy day!  The tube has to be cut lengthwise and unfolded to yield the maximum width.  This is a pain, but the stuff is cheap.  Seems like the material was less than $100 bucks for enough to make two sets of markers.  I think the tube was about five feet wide when cut and unfolded.  The "official size" I believe is one meter wide (with each leg nine meters long).  We made our markers five feet wide and about 25 feet long, and this was very visible.  The cut edges tend to unravel, but can be folded underneath.  (A hot knife of some kind that would melt/cut the stuff would be ideal.)  We also use eight inch spike nails with fender washers (larger diameter than standard washers) to stake the edges down.  This system goes down and comes up fairly quickly and can be re-used until it gets too funky or un-ravels.  We hammer the spikes down and use nail bars to pull them up.  For some reason, we've noticed that cows really like to stand on these markers, producing a completely different clean-up dilemma.  At least liquids don't tend to pool on the stuff since it's woven....

Jeffery Poehlmann