ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Hull Insurance

From: Gil & Phyl Tellier <giltel at earthlink.net>

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:14:12 UTC

Message:

  Hey Troops,
Is hull insurance worth it? Having switched from Forrest to Avemco last year it is
now the time to again review the cost of hull that seems to be reaching for the moon.
I just got my Avemco bill for homebuilt S-1S for 50K hull and 1M liability. Hull is
2089, liability is 283 (2416 total) compared with 1457 and 283 (1740 total) last
year. My logs show about 800 hours taildragger and 350 in Pitts. Never had an
accident in 16 years of flying. Avemco says they are losing on homebuilts which is
the reason homebuilts have been hit the hardest. Unfortunately, Avemco does not
discriminate within the category like State Farm auto does with low rates for being
good. I am tired of paying for lost canopies and prop strikes due to runup mishaps.
OK I've ranted but I guess it is time to self insure unless anybody's got a better
idea.
Gil Tellier, IAC Ch. 49, IAC #11908