ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Poll: Do we need a new category be ...

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 05:14:33 UTC

Message:

  Allan,

OK - response to poll.

I'd like Unlimited and Advanced to stay aligned to CIVA.

Is there any arrangement that will provide the perfect range of venues
for every pilot/airplane combination?  Of course not.  I have my own
wishes regarding other categories, including Advanced, but there is just
too much momentum already going in a more or less unified direction.

Fortunately, I suspect that Advanced will continue to refine itself as a
category for unlimited pilots flying limited aircraft.  Yes, I would
like to see outside flicks, outside rollers, and tailslides in advanced,
but if that happens it won't be soon.  Time and continue input will move
advanced to being the true "sporting" category in the world.  My
impression of AWAC is that this is what it has already become, since so
many countries cannot field a competitive WAC team anymore.  While the
missing maneuvers mentioned above distinguish it from unlimited, ya
gotta admit advanced is a much greater challenge than it was 10 years
ago.  It may continue to evolve to give you what you want.  I'd bet you
could provide input to hasten the development of advanced more
successfully than you could get a new category invented
(unlimited-light).

I've found that a 10 figure unlimited free can be safely and competently
flown by a 260HP $60k Zlin 50.  If I decide to practice enough, I can
have plenty of fun in the new unlimited at regional contests.  I can
promise you that an S2B, S1T, Extra 230, and Lazer 200 have at least
equal, and possibly more performance than the Zlin.  It doesn't take
$250k to fly unlimited and have fun.  Just dedication and plenty of
practice.

Don P.