ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Poll: Do we need a new category be ...

From: Andrew Boyd <aboyd at igs.net>

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:31:18 UTC

Message:

  Don Peterson wrote:

> I would like to see outside flicks, outside rollers, and tailslides
> in advanced ...

I've never understood why tailslides have such a bad reputation.  The
progression from the hammerhead to the tailslide seems logical and
reasonable enough.

The only real concern I can see (as Hartzell has mentioned) is that with
the metal props, there is a problem with rapid gyroscopic precession
causing crankshaft cracking.

Mind you, snaps have the same problem, stressing the crank, not to
mention
the rest of the aircraft!  Any pilot that snaps to redline G and doesn't
think he's hurting his aircraft worse than a straight pull to redline G
doesn't understand physics.

My personal (and surely heretical) opinion is that snaps are an abuse of
the aircraft.  Especially at the higher categories, where the judges
often
have great difficulty telling if a monoplane has snapped or not, one
must
wonder why someone would desire to deliberately abuse an aircraft so
(shrug).

--
aboyd at igs.net   ATP