ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] [Fwd: Re: Re:]

From: Franko Allan <allan.franko at cancerboard.ab.ca>

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:48:14 UTC

Message:

I suppose I should reply in case others interested in the category
structure have reached the same misunderstandings of my arguments in
favor of a new Sporting Unlimited category.

rba at borf.com wrote:

>                       Username: Robert Armstrong
> Item 1; The range of
>                 difficulty- Removing  the snap was not to change the
>                 difficulty as much as it was to reduce the enormous stress
>                 being put on some of the popular aircraft.  Any Pitts pilots
>                 fear the snaps? Miss them? OK how bought you 7kcab pilots?

    My points was simply that Sportsman was harder when every Known
contained a snap roll.  I didn't say I thought it was a good to have it
there. It took me hundreds of attempts to learn to do a reliable,
presentable snap in my Decathlon.  That makes it hard, as far as I'm
concerned.

>                 Item 2; Bonus points, to think that this is going to
>                 reposition some pilots is unfounded. To get one of those 90%
>                 flights takes more work than you think. The pilots that do
>                 will get very similar scores on a longer program they are
>                 not being handed points at regestration they earn them.  The
>                 entire bonus system was not formed to help the pilots, it is
>                 to shorten the World and contiental championships. It was
>                 not uncommon for the free to take 4 to 5 days or more.  It
>                 was the fear of myself and other unlimited pilots that at
>                 the last team pick contest that there were several pilots
>                 that could have not declaired for the team and flown 15 man
>                 free and been the National champion.

    Hmm, if a 15 figure Free is the best scoring design, why didn't you
fly it?  Kinda proves my point that the bonus system provides an
advantage to those whose aircraft
are best at doing a shorter free, doesn't it?  And, now that you've
accused me of selfishness (below), it leaves you open to a similar
question.  You seem to be admitting
here that a small group of WAC aspirants changed the Unlimited category
solely for their benefit.  Isn't that kind of selfish?

> Now
>                 150K may fill yoour socks but what dose that new S2B or
>                 8KCAB cost?  The airplane is a large cost item, but I have
>                 run $1000 mounth gas bills for years, not to mention the
>                 insurance.   Hobby that is not expenesive? Basket weaving?

    Oh, come on!  A $30,000 airplane was all it took to enjoy the
challenges of Unlimited a few years ago.  Now nobody is doing that, but
hundreds of those airplanes still
exist and they could still provide the same fun if they had a category
to compete in.  Could it be that what really bothers you is the idea
that others could have just as
much fun in Sporting Unlimited as you have in Unlimited, flying planes
that cost 15% of what yours cost?

>                  Item 4; You want an orginasion to creat a catigory for you
>                 to fly so that you can feel challanged? Is this not somewhat
>                 selfish?

    See above.

Allan Franko