ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: [Fwd: Re: Re:]

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:31:23 UTC

Message:

  Allan,

Shame shame.  Take a deep breath.  Now, doesn't that feel better?

In the late 50's - early 60's, the Zlin displaced the Stampe as the state of the
art aircraft for world competition.  Getting a Zlin was very very expensive and
politically difficult.  By the end of the 60's, the Stampes were still being used
at top level competition, but could be had in overhauled condition for less than
$10k.  The Zlins were being displaced by the hotrod Pitts and the Yak 50, neither
of which could be afforded by the rank and file, who had to content themselves
with flying older Zlins, Buckers, and Stampes.  By the mid 70's, the Lazer and
Zlin 50 were moving 4 cyl Pitts and Yak 50's out of the world level, but again,
they were beyond the price of mere mortals.  Do you recall that a mid - late 70's
Zlin 50 was a $100k+ aircraft, and I can recall 4 cyl Lazers running 100k into the
early 90's.  The 4 cyl Pitts was no longer an unlimited aircraft by the early to
mid 80's.  Of course, the Stampe was still being used in France, the Zlins
(226/526) were still popular for serious regional competition in eastern Europe,
and the 4 cyl Pitts was still seen in the US.  But all of these aircraft were just
seeing out their silver years flying locally-serious competition.  By the mid 80's
it was Suks and Caps, etc.

So, this process has always gone on.  It is just so gradual that it extends beyond
the average competitor's participation in the game.  I certainly applaud using an
obsolescent aircraft to have fun above its head, but this has never been a valid
reason to change the basic structure of our sport.  I don't doubt there were
similar complaints by Stampe/Zlin 226/Zlin 526/Yak 50/Zlin 50 - etc owners as
their expensive wunderbirds became part of the previous generation.

Get used to it.  It'll probably happen again.

Don