ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: IAC rules amok?? -- just another r ...

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:23:03 UTC

Message:

We did pretty much the same thing at the Long Island contest.  In order to fly
without a safety pilot, you needed prior competition experience in the
category in which you were entered.  If not, then you had a personal interview
with the chief judge who reviewed your aerobatic training and determined your
contest eligibility.  The reason was a special provision of the contest waiver
requiring the holder of the waiver (an individual and not the chapter) to
determine that each competitor was "competent" to perform aerobatics.  This
provision appears to be at odds with the PIC responsibilities section of the
FARs, and is nothing more than extreme CYA by the FAA, but we had to live with
it.

Kurt Otto Haukohl <BlackEagle540 at musclebiplane.org> wrote:
>	MIME Type: multipart/alternative

NOTE: although we will be flying the new IAC Primary category and are
strong and enthusiastic supporters of grassroots aerobatics, we feel that
your safety is paramount. Many aerobatic maneuvers may result in unintended
spins, even though a given aircraft may not be certificated for intentional
spins. So, in the interest of safety, and at the request of the Chapter 69
Board of Directors, we have applied for the following supplemental contest
rule: Any competitor who wishes to fly in the Primary category (in which a
spin is not required) must either: 1) provide evidence of prior aerobatic
(not CFI) spin training, 2) have flown before in an IAC competition flight
requiring a spin (such as Basic), or 3) be willing to fly with a safety
pilot at the 2002 CopperState contest. If you have any questions regarding
this policy, or want to inquire about arranging for a safety pilot, please
contact the CD with your details and questions as soon as possible. Thank
you for your understanding!