ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: IAC rules amok?? -- just another r ...

From: jeffery at texas.net

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:37:46 UTC

Message:

  DJ,

Your point on Basic vs Primary pilot spin training is valid, but I would also
consider that for the average entry level competitor in the old Basic category,
spins were performed over and over as part of practicing the sequence.  While
this is in NO way a substitute for spin training, at least those pilots were
reasonably proficient at normal spin entry and recovery techniques for their
specific airplanes.  Now we have the potential for inadvertant spin entry and
no expectation that the pilot can recover.  IMHO it would be foolish for anyone
to place themselves in a flight attitude where a spin could occur without
having been trained in how to deal with the potential result.  But that is what
has been implemented.  The root problem, as has been stated several times, is
that we do not want to address the issue of established entry criteria for
competition.  And I mostly agree with the faction that wants minimum
requirements to maximize participation.  At least the old Basic category
provided some level of peer expectation that a contest participant was
practiced in normal spin recovery.

I intend to request that our current IAC BOD be charged with the task of
tracking Primary category participants over the next year or two to see just
how many new competitors have entered IAC sanctioned competitions, and
specifically, how many of those were flying aircraft that are not certificated
for intentional spins.  If we find a significant increase has occurred in the
influx of new blood into our sport compared to previous years, then maybe there
is some (at least economic) justification for allowing the new category to
remain.  If we find that only a handful of Stearman/T-6/etc. folks have joined
in the fun, then I don't think the potential for spin related incidents
justifies keeping the category.  (The tracking should probably also look at
NTSB reports to include any spin related incidents that occur with non-spin
certificated aircraft that may have resulted during a practice session.  I
realize this info could be very speculative, but is a potential indicator.)  So
much for my $0.02 worth.

Jeffery Poehlmann
President IAC Ch. 107