ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: IAC rules amok?? -- just another re ...

From: "Virginia M. Jacobson" <virginia at odysseypub.com>

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 02:05:49 UTC

Message:

I've sat quietly reading the threads about the new Primary category and now feel I have to add my two cents.

First off I agree there is a possible safety concern regarding a first time competitor who wishes to fly in the Primary category. It is possible that someone might show up and want to compete who has never received spin training or may not of ever even done a spin let alone recovered from one.  However OUR Sport, as is still true with most of aviation (at least I would like to think so) is governed greatly by the HONOR system. This is one of the things I cherish about aviation in general. Pilots for the most part are people who possess the follow core values.
  a.. Men and Women whose word and honesty mean something
  b.. People who do what they say they will
  c.. People who are very safety minded in all aspects of their life not just aviation
  d.. People who understand the value of proper training
Grant you there are always exceptions and some people do not posses these values but I believe they are the lesser not the greater of the masses.

We have not regulated training requirements in the past because one, there was really no acceptable method by which to do so which was feasible and fair to all, but mostly because the people who are drawn to this sport are drawn because they have flown aerobatics and received some level of training before wanting to compete. Most people have gone and either taken some form of spin training or at least have gone out at altitude and practice spins before ever even thinking of competing and not because someone has told them they have to but out of common sense and self preservation.

I believe it's a good idea for the CD and the Safety Officer to sit down with ALL first time competitors and inquire about the amount of training and/or level of practice they have received before competing for the first time. They do so not with the intent of prohibiting someone from competing but rather with the intent of coaching and aiding the first time competitor to make sure that their first competition is fun and safe not only for them but the contest as well. This is the approach the IAC has taken and thus far and it's worked because the membership as a whole believe in the values stated above.  Lets not create more rules and impose greater restrictions on beginners but rather foster safer attitudes and behavior by mentoring and coaching people who want to begin enjoying this sport the same way we did.

There will always be the few people who will try to do something just because the rules say they can even if it doesn't make good sense. However these people are the minority not the majority and imposing more requirements only penalizes the rest of us who because of our values would meet these requirements first anyway. I'm far less worried about the new aerobatic pilot just entering the sport than I am with the cocky pilot who wants to show off to their buddy's. I've gone to contests where so called experienced pilots have flown unsafely just to bolster their ego and impress their friends. These are the people we should be worried about. They are the ones who are more likely to get hurt or killed. They're the ones that will destroy our sport with their arrogant attitudes and behavior.

If the IAC is to consider any new proposals I for one wish they would come up with some means of monitoring rouge pilots. I've seen arrogant pilots set poor examples and promote negative attitudes towards our sport. These people usually get counseled about their actions by some contest official, they promise never to behave in that manner again then go off to another contest the next weekend and do it all over once more. How about coming up with a way of monitor these people and imposing sanctions? I suggest prohibiting them from competition for a given period of time until they straighten up their act? CD's could inform HQ about people who have exhibited either unsafe or undesirable behavior at a contest, HQ could keep a master list and if someone gets X number of complaints filed against them then a notice could be sent out to all CD's of up and coming contest informing them not to allow this individual to register.  How about a discussion and constructive comments on this!
 topic?

One last word, anyone who has hung in and read what I've had to say thus far, poor grammar and all, deserves a break. ;-)

Mr. Parks made a statement about the IAC BOD pushing things down the memberships throats. Unless I'm mistaken I do believe this is how the process works a) someone(s) have proposed a change that they feel they would like to see implemented b) that proposal goes through a comment period in which all the membership has ample opportunity to voice their opinion before the BOD votes on it. The proposed rule changes are always posted on the IAC web site and are open for anyone in the membership to comment on and an email is even posted to the exploder telling the membership that the proposed changes are available for comment.

If this isn't how the process works than I'm sure I'll be corrected very quickly.

Nuff said...........

Virginia Jacobson
IAC# 18076
VP IAC Ch-88