ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: IAC rules amok?? -- just another re ...

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 19:18:22 UTC

Message:

  In regards to the "new" primary category - all I see is a name change.  Big
deal.  I'm not sure what difference a new name will make but it sure
doesn't bother me.

I also see that the Primary category has a new sequence this year.  That's
not different per se.  They could have done that without the name
change.  Known sequences have changed from year to year in the past.  What
is different is the absence of a spin and the presence of a half Cuban. The
absence of the spin together with no boundary penalties is thought to allow
P51's and the like.  Hmmmm.....interesting.  Actually, I don't see anything
in the present or former rules that would prevent a jet or warbird from
entering the contest.  Any maneuver prohibited by the AFM, can't be flown
in the contest.  One could still have entered their P51 (or whatever) in
Basic and just omit the spin (taking a zero) and fly the rest of the
sequence.  Under the new rules, one could enter the P51 without taking the
zero.  On the other hand, having the spin in the sequence provides more
assurance that entrants will have been practicing them.

Having the spin in the primary sequence doesn't really provide much
assurance than a stranger showing up for his first contest could actually
fly a safe spin or recover from an inadvertent spin.  I have seen first
time competitors totally screw up their Basic spin and have to be saved by
their safety pilot.  Scary.  I have also seen plenty of hammerspins and
loopspins.  Even some snaprollspins.

When I showed up at my first contest, nobody knew me or had ever seen me
fly.  I brought a single seat airplane so I couldn't accept a safety
pilot.....and I wanted to fly Sportsman.  What they did was watch me like a
hawk during my practice flights and assign me a "buddy" - one of the
unlimited competitors - to be my mentor (and maybe to make sure of my
attitude, find out about my training experiences, etc.)  I think they
relaxed a little when I came in second in the category after my first
flight (finished 3rd after 3 flights).  Note that I did have about 25 hours
of acro dual in Super D and S2B + 35 hours solo practice in my Yak55 before
showing up at my first contest.

I guess my point is that the presence or absence of a spin in Primary
doesn't provide much guarantee of safety.  In the past, we've relied on a
social process, not rules, to provide safety for first timers.  So far,
this has worked pretty well.

I'm not so sure about the wisdom of allowing airplanes that aren't approved
for spins to compete.

I don't want to fly aerobatics in an airplane in which spins are prohibited
as I know all too well that a spin is a possible outcome of many aerobatic
maneuvers.  I don't want to see my friends do this, either.  I also don't
think I'd like to be CD, tech inspector or CJ at a contest where such an
airplane was entered.

Klein Gilhousen, IAC 21489
Bozeman, MT