Acro Image

Aerobatics Server

[International Aerobatic Club] [Communications] [Aerobatics Images]

Disclaimer: These aerobatics pages are developed by individual IAC members and do not represent official IAC policy or opinion.

[Usage Statistics]

Until a couple of years ago, spin training was mandatory in Canada for all
(fixed-wing) pilots.  A spin was required to be demonstrated on both the private
and commercial flight tests.
So, if someone had a pilot's licence - any pilot's licence - then you know that he
had at least flown a spin or two himself before.
But, our DOT decided to "dumb down" our flight training.  I believe that a spin
is still a flight test item for the Canadian commercial flight test, which I suppose
is better than nothing.
The problem, as another person mentioned, is that not all spin accidents are
by newbies.  There is a long list of experienced aerobatic pilots (Kathy Jaffe,
Art Scholl, etc) who died after getting into a spin they couldn't get out of.
It's interesting that ICAS requires a THREE turn spin by airshow pilots, which
is a horse of an entirely different color than an IAC 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 turn spin.
--   ATP
----- Original Message -----
From: p.lopez
To: Brent Rogers ; IAC Acro List
Cc: Chris Burns
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 9:42 PM
Subject: [Acro] Re: Aerobatic Instructor qualifications

From the look of the last pissy thread regarding Primary. I would say if someone signs your log book on spins well that's good enough. Or if you have done it in the past move up your good.
My big question on the whole spin deal is Liability. If someone fly's anything above Primary and spins in and know one checked for "Spin Training" are we all liable for letting that person fly since we took it among ourselves to police the Primary people but not the higher categories.
----- Original Message -----
From: Brent Rogers
To: IAC Acro List
Cc: Chris Burns
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 9:19 PM
Subject: [Acro] Aerobatic Instructor qualifications

A friend in Australia has been asking what is required here in North America in order to become an aerobatic instructor.
I can answer for Canada which has an Aerobatic Instructor rating but I am not certain about the USA.
Can anyone there tell me what qualifications and/or experience as well as License or rating that are required in the US to give aerobatic instruction?
Thank you,
Brent Rogers

© Dr. Günther Eichhorn
Email Guenther Eichhorn