ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Aerobatic Instructor qualifications

From: "Andrew Boyd" <aboyd at igs.net>

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:21:39 UTC

Message:

Until a couple of years ago, spin training was mandatory in Canada for all
(fixed-wing) pilots.  A spin was required to be demonstrated on both the private
and commercial flight tests.

So, if someone had a pilot's licence - any pilot's licence - then you know that he
had at least flown a spin or two himself before.

But, our DOT decided to "dumb down" our flight training.  I believe that a spin
is still a flight test item for the Canadian commercial flight test, which I suppose
is better than nothing.

The problem, as another person mentioned, is that not all spin accidents are
by newbies.  There is a long list of experienced aerobatic pilots (Kathy Jaffe,
Art Scholl, etc) who died after getting into a spin they couldn't get out of.

It's interesting that ICAS requires a THREE turn spin by airshow pilots, which
is a horse of an entirely different color than an IAC 1 / 1.25 / 1.5 turn spin.

--
aboyd at igs.net   ATP