ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: an interesting twist

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith"<petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:21:06 UTC

Message:

Since I'm busy trying to learn what I need to be an effective CD for the
first time, I have been reading the Primary category debate with great
interest. On one hand I am very happy, as are some folks here locally, that
the category exists because it means that 4-5 new people will be able to
compete in the only rentable aerobatic plane in the area (a Grob). However
the concerns about lack of spin awareness are a major concern.  I must admit
I'm now leaning towards putting a safety pilot with this category.  One
thing for sure I'm going to play close attention to the folks flying in this
category.

Like most Canadian pilots I did spin training in 150's in the normal manner.
Power off, pull progressively maintaining level flight then just at the
buffet hit the rudder. However as we all know these are nothing compared to
a power on departure when you are not expecting it and this normal benign
spin training is not really going to save your bacon.  To be of much use the
training has to be proper full power departures when you are not expecting
it combined with the confusion/panic that entails. This is probably why the
Canadian spin training does not really help that much statistically.

Cheers,

Peter Ashwood-Smith

.