ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: an interesting twist

From: RIHNAIRCO at aol.com

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:15:44 UTC

Message:

  To All,

The excellent historical perspective provided by Paul Logue points up some
important matters regarding the IAC Smooth Patch.

Requiring the contestant to have a smooth patch in each division before
competing has been on the agenda several times at the IAC BOD meetings.  It
has failed to pass due to the hue and cry of our membership who fear the "big
brother is watching over you" potential activity.   I suspect that
requirement will never pass due to member objection rather than BOD
inactivity.  In other words the BOD does, and should, remain responsive to
its membership.  This is a difficult goal to achieve when the membership is
equally divided on an issue.  Such issues are best left to mature until a
consensus is available, I suspect.

My first Pitts purchase came as a direct result of a pilot's failure to
become proficient in a Pitts hammerhead.  The person from whom I purchased
the S 2A competed with only ex-military training.  He fell out of two
hammerheads into spins from which he recovered low.  He was asked to return
home.  Since it would have required him to fly for 2 hours across the rather
intimidating Sierra Nevada range to get to an IAC Judge this otherwise fine
pilot was lost to IAC competition.  After a year or so he put the aircraft up
for sale and I purchased it.

The point of all of this, is that it requires a critical mass of competition
oriented pilots in any area for activity to flourish.  Those who live in
congested, high density area regions of the USA have greater opportunity than
those who fly in sparsely settled unfriendly terrain geographicregions.

It is virtually impossible for the BOD to design a system that will suit
everyone.  I believe they are doing a great job of finding the "middle of the
road".

Dick Rihn