ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Organization Name Change

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:41:02 UTC

Message:

  I'm going to feel guilty for this post, but here goes...

I've been mostly involved in various merger, turn-around, and acquisition sorts
of activities for many years.  This has given me the mixed blessing of sitting
in and/or directing many a meeting where the topic was "how do we fix this
mess?"

I have learned that the proposal to "change the name" comes when everyone is
out of fresh ideas.  I'm embarassed to say that I've made that suggestion
myself in the past, and in retrospect it was because I was out of constructive
ideas.

When the smoke clears, what we always find is that nobody gives a rat's a**
what the name is so long as the product or service is being delivered as
expected, and the company conducts itself in an professional and ethical
manner.  The proposal to change the name often comes when there is a perceived
credibility problem with past practices or management, or it is thought to be
cheaper than making a new product or revamping the services.  It is in the
management manual under the chapter titled "Don't just sit there, do
something", sometimes referred to as "Jesus is coming, look busy".

I know this sounds critical of the board.  I'm really not trying to do that,
and haven't read the minutes (our chapter president hasn't done any sort of
re-distribution).  So I don't know the thinking on this one.  If it is true,
however, it will represent an on-going expenditure (to a club that has been
grumbling about declining membership and revenues) without necessarily doing
anything to change those things.

I'm sharing my own past embarassments about a name change being the last idea
before the rip-cord, as there are actually several new ideas currently being
pressed forward by the board.  We don't know whether they're going to work, but
perhaps it would make sense to focus our limited club volunteer energy and
money on those instead of something that nobody really notices anyway.  I've
always been told it stood for the "Illinois Aerobatic Club", and that was OK
with me.  The home of Abe Lincoln and the Daley organization can't be all bad,
right?

Looking forward to where this goes....

Don P.
Midlothian, Tx.