ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Organization Name Change

From: John Cornwell <jwcornwell at usa.net>

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:15:36 UTC

Message:

  Amen to that.

And relax, Don.  Being critical of an idea is not being critical of the Board
that came up with it.  I agree the name means nothing by itself.  I also don't
think this will ever be a spectator sport, primarily because you can't ever
put a crowd right on top of it, even with cameras, like you can with just
about EVERY other sport.

There always will be that core of folks who like to get together for a weekend
once in a while and watch each other fly.  They will keep it going no matter
what it's called or who's in charge.  Pilots who are really enthusiastic about
aerobatics will eventually find the IAC (or the USAA or AUSA or whatever it's
called).  I think the club will do just fine by serving the local acro
enthusiast rather than trying to become another NASCAR.  I think the club has
always been just the right size.

  Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net> wrote:
I'm going to feel guilty for this post, but here goes...

I've been mostly involved in various merger, turn-around, and acquisition
sorts
of activities for many years.  This has given me the mixed blessing of
sitting
in and/or directing many a meeting where the topic was "how do we fix this
mess?"

I have learned that the proposal to "change the name" comes when everyone is
out of fresh ideas.  I'm embarassed to say that I've made that suggestion
myself in the past, and in retrospect it was because I was out of
constructive
ideas.

When the smoke clears, what we always find is that nobody gives a rat's a**
what the name is so long as the product or service is being delivered as
expected, and the company conducts itself in an professional and ethical
manner.  The proposal to change the name often comes when there is a
perceived
credibility problem with past practices or management, or it is thought to be
cheaper than making a new product or revamping the services.  It is in the
management manual under the chapter titled "Don't just sit there, do
something", sometimes referred to as "Jesus is coming, look busy".

I know this sounds critical of the board.  I'm really not trying to do that,
and haven't read the minutes (our chapter president hasn't done any sort of
re-distribution).  So I don't know the thinking on this one.  If it is true,
however, it will represent an on-going expenditure (to a club that has been
grumbling about declining membership and revenues) without necessarily doing
anything to change those things.

I'm sharing my own past embarassments about a name change being the last idea
before the rip-cord, as there are actually several new ideas currently being
pressed forward by the board.  We don't know whether they're going to work,
but
perhaps it would make sense to focus our limited club volunteer energy and
money on those instead of something that nobody really notices anyway.  I've
always been told it stood for the "Illinois Aerobatic Club", and that was OK
with me.  The home of Abe Lincoln and the Daley organization can't be all
bad,
right?

Looking forward to where this goes....

Don P.