ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Organization Name Change

From: Don Peterson <autotech at flash.net>

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:26:02 UTC

Message:

  Andrew,

And now for one of those posts that anonymous writers seem to not like.  Oh
well.  Lisa may respond on her own, but this is a subject I'm interested in.

First, a "sanction" is a sort of hollow thing.  It is blessed upon us by the FAI
through CIVA and the NAA, etc.  It is not a legally binding thing, it is just a
club's way of policing its sport, kind of the like the AMA, and the lawyer's
Bar.  By keeping a grip on their members and the process via standardized
regulations, they feel they can produce a better and more enduring activity.  I
will not take sides in whether this is the result that is achieved, cuz I don't
know.  Meanwhile, the FAI and CIVA annoint each country's aeroclubs to run
things within their borders.  There is no precedence that I'm aware of for one
country to run another's aviation sport activities via the sanctioning process,
although there are no rules for or against having club chapters and other "IAC"
activities within other countries.  In fact, an actual foreign "IAC" chapter
could sponsor a contest within their country by receiving an official sanction
from their aeroclub (or whoever is authorized to issue such a sanction by the
FAI).  Personally, I don't see a conflict here.

My interest is due to what you are referring to.  When one compares the acro
activity within the US to what is going on in Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina,
Columbia (where acro is usually bullet-encouraged), etc, one might come to the
conclusion that some international help and encouragement would be a good
thing.  We floated the balloon a while back that the "Championships of the
Americas" could become the vehicle for helping our neighbors create a more
active acro community.  The board at the time killed the idea, and since then
the COTA has been killed entirely.  The current view appears to be that the
health of our own organization is of serious enough concern that nothing is left
over for helping our neighbors.  Again, this may be an accurate assessment of
our club's health or not.  Make your own call.

The net is that the IAC at this time appears to be more interested in some sort
of "acro-rally", or "grass-roots picnic day" than fostering a growing and
healthy aerobatic competition activity throughout the Americas.  The board that
you elected is certainly empowered to interpret the members' wishes and act on
them to the best of their conscience.  Personally, I would prefer to see them
focusing on the competition activity than other stuff, and to expand this effort
to our neighboring countries.  You'll just have to trust me that a competition
between nations is far more envigorating than one between chapter-buddies.
Personally, I think the sanctioning issue could be easily solved and is not
central to this move to rename the club.

I have no direct input on this, but I suspect the drive to change the name could
be coming from other nations who think our moniker is a bit over-reaching.  But
that's just my suspicions.

Hope this helps.

Don P.