ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Organization Name Change

From: BenEllis at aol.com

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 06:58:46 UTC

Message:

  Don et al,
I certainly think that you're right about International competitions being a
greater motivator than domestic affairs. Over here in Europe, we generally
get what CIVA call a Continental Championship in the years in between World
Champs in all 3 categories (Unlimited Power, Advanced Power and Glider).
We're sending teams from Britain to the European Unlimited Power champs in
Lithuania, the European Glider champs in Germany as well as the World
Advanced in Slovenia. I'm sure that this helps keep winning countries such as
Russia and France focussed and gives us an aiming point every year. It also
helps us to keep fresh on the judging front (one British judge is selected as
Chief Judge in Lithuania, we're sending a judging team to Germany) and of
course we get the opportunity to influence International aerobatics through
the presence of other personalities.  I'd have thought that if small
countries like Lithuania and Slovenia (wonderful place, excellent
organisation!) can put on a competition, surely someone somewhere between
Tierra del Fuego and the Bering Straits could get something together every
other year.
Cheers,
Ben Ellis
IAC (still!) #24731