ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Organization Name Change

From: "Pete & Farrell Rouse" <rousep at intcon.net>

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:51:08 UTC

Message:

  Mr. Golan,

I am a little disturbed by some comment you made regarding Americans.  I
actually went to the IAC website and read the meeting minutes regarding the
proposed name change.  The reasons presented were rational, but I have not
really given any thought to the name change as it's effect on me is rather
trivial.

I do not have a problem with you voicing your opinion, regardless of whether
or not I agree with you.  I do, however, have a problem when someone starts
speaking of American facism, arrogance, and my favorite, 'How American'.

Mr Golan, you have every right as an IAC member to voice your displeasure
concerning the name change.  I do think it is rude to start with the
mud-slinging and name calling.  I view your actions in the same light as
coming into my home, ridiculing the decor and complaining of the meal with
your mouth full.

The IAC is an American based organization and it's sanctioning authority is
limited to the United States.  Given the preceeding facts, calling the
organization 'international' is somewhat misleading.  All in all, I really
don't care what the organization decides to call itself.  My only concern is
to compete in aerobatic contests and enjoy the company of others who like
aerobatics and airplanes; wherever they may be from.

As a side note, my mom was not born in the U.S while my father was.  I work
at an international company with people from Canada, the United States,
Russia, Yugoslavia, France, England, Germany, Egypt, Lebanon, etc.
Something that I can say with absolute certainty is that no country or group
of people has sole claim to arrogance, humility, virtue or sin.

Instead of quoting Mencken, I believe Shakespeare said, 'A rose by any other
name is still a rose'.  In reality, the name is inconsequential to the
function of the organization.  I will still fly in the contests and read the
monthly magazine.

Pete Rouse
Pitts S-1S