ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Section 91.303

From: "Gibbons" <gibbons at cox-internet.com>

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 03:13:29 UTC

Message:

  Regarding the FAR's for aerobatic flight:

"No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight a) over any congested
area of a city, town, or settlement"
How does the FAA define "congested?"  If there are a couple of houses
outside town in the practice area is that "congested?"

"Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway"
Does this include Jet airways?  The letter of the rule implies that this is
the case, but how much sense does that make?  I don't think that even I can
screw up enough to put a Decathlon into the flight levels.

I've found the PERFECT place to practice, but it's only 2 nm from a high
altitude airway, and there is a single house just outside the boundary of
the practice area.  Would you or wouldn't you?  Would you be legal if you
did?

Regards,

Chip Gibbons