ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Section 91.303

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:47:59 UTC

Message:

  At 01:18 PM 3/14/2002 -0500, John Cornwell wrote:
>Why give the FAA a chance to say no?  A waivered box doesn't give you any
>protection anyway.  Arguably, the NOTAM which you will be required to file
>every time you fly in your box will compromise safety by attracting common
>bozos to the scene.  If there are houses (or even 1 house) under your practice
>area, the FAA will, and should, say no to your waiver request.  Then, you KNOW
>it is illegal to fly acro there.  What do you do then?  I think you would be
>much better off if you could charm that 1 homeowner and then fly when you want
>to and shut up about it.
>
>I have been flying aerobatics in an unwaivered practice area in metropolitan
>NY for 20 years.  I have been careful to be inconspicuous -- I don't know of a
>single noise complaint and nobody knows who I am or what I'm doing.  I like it
>that way.

Let me guess; you fly glider aerobatics, right?  Or maybe at 12k+ feet?

I get noise complaints even here in the wide open spaces of Montana.  One
time, the noise complaints ended up at the FAA who then promptly took away
my waiver.  I eventually got it back, but it took a year and a lot of work
to get back.

I think the only rational, common sense way to interpret the congested
airspace definition is that it is not congested if you could make a forced
landing without unduly jeopardizing people or property on the ground.  The
congested areas thing also appears as operating limitations for
experimental airplanes.  If a single house constituted congestion, you
could never fly the things anywhere.

Klein Gilhousen
Bozeman, MT