ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] PITTS S1 FUEL TANK PROBLEUM

From: Gandrmarsh at aol.com

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:55:34 UTC

Message:

  I have a fuel tank that cracked on the front pannel of the tank. This will
be the 3rd tank in appx. 800 hours. The first one oil caned on the aft side.
I tried to weld it but it oxadized and became brittle and re cracked, so I
replaced it to a new one from Pitts. A good friend of mine had a S1T and the
same thing happened to him. This time it oil caned up front. So this is my
second tank. This makes 3 tanks between 2 of us in less than 800 hours. Am I
missing something here? I believe there was a post about S1 fuel tanks a
while back that I missed. Can any one help me on what to do? Does anyone make
a tank that doesn't crack? Or do I go back to the factory? We have over 10
S1's in our chapter so this information would be helpful.

                                Glen Marshman Chapter 12 Prez