ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Fw: Flying Wire Tensiometer (long d ...

From: DSowder at aol.com

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:07:53 UTC

Message:

In a message dated 3/25/02 6:51:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
autotech at flash.net writes:

> I did some tests and comparisons a while back using high-priced wire
> tensionmeters and the fish-scale method.  The fish scale method came out
> as the most reliable.  I'm sure I did not compare every known
> high-priced tensionmenter, but I checked 3 other types that were
> available.
>
> The "unreliability" appeared to be due to the bending resistance of the
> wire.  On the aircraft I was rigging, wires up to 1/2" were being used,
> with others at various sizes down to 3/16" (and a few odd metric
> sizes).  On the smaller wires the high-priced meters worked fine as the
> small diameter wire did not contribute a bending resistance over the
> short distance of the meter test-points.  On the larger wires we kept
> getting a rather substantial variatioin that we could only explain due
> the bending resistance of the wire.

Don is right, of course. The usual wire tensiometer assumes that the wire is
a pure tension member with no resistance to bending. For those with a
computational bent, the formula is T=PS/4D, where T is wire tension (lbs.), P
is fish scale pull at center of wire, (lbs.), S is the length of wire from
pin-to-pin, (inches), and D is the distance in inches that the center of the
wire is displaced laterally from the chord. The chord would be a taught
string streched from pin to pin, and NOT hooked by the fish scale. There are
a couple of simplifying assumptions in this formula: for small deflections of
less than a couple of percent of the wire's length, tangent and sine of
deflection angle are virtually equal. And, it assumes that the aircraft
structure has some compliance, so that the wire tension doesn't increase
appreciably as a result of measuring said tension. This wouldn't be true if
both ends of the wire were anchored to the foundation of the universe. Other
units of measure can be used as long as they're consistent.

That being said, the Christen tensiometer, an example of which I've owned for
about 10 years, has calibrated scales for each of the sizes of streamlined
wires used on the various types of Pitts and most other light biplanes. Note
that streamline wire is assumed, and it's assumed that you're bending it the
"easy" way. This calibration is intended to negate the effect of the wire's
bending strength.

That furthermore being said, tensioning still isn't entirely straightforward.
On the Pitts, The landing wires will always show significantly higher tension
than will the flying wires for two reasons. Firstly, they intersect the wing
at a more acute angle, so the component of force that they apply
perpendicular to the wing is a lesser part of wire tension. More of the
tension is "wasted" compressing the spar longitudinally. Secondly, the
landing wires support the weight of the wings and I-struts. Net result is
that with landing wires at near max. spec'd. tension, flying wires will be
near minimum spec'd. tension. It's impossible to get 'em identical. Of
course, since the members of a pair of, say, flying wires are only a couple
of inches apart, testing one detensions the other, decreasing the accuracy of
measurement. And, don't you wish you could turn a wire 1/4 turn instead of a
full half turn? Of course, you can always back off completely and remove and
rotate just one end clevis by a half turn. And my wife wonders what I'm doing
at the airport... (This on the S-2B; the S-1's have a double-nutted arrang
ement at the outboard end that can be more accurately adjusted once you've
bent a couple of special wrenches for the job).

In my opinion, the tail wires are too short to measure tension with any
degree of accuracy. Not to mention the fact that trying to measure the
tension in one stretches the other three, unless you think that the rudder
post can actually resist any part of the wire tension.

Well, I said it was long. Sorry to bore those that know all this stuff; some
might find it interesting. And that's just tensioning the wires....rigging is
a whole 'nuther story.

Doug Sowder
Flies hands off!!!