ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Extra aileron actuator arm attachment

From: Ian Scott <ian.scott at ebrevet.nu>

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:16:44 UTC

Message:

  Hello,

Yet another question.

Would anyone know how the aileron actuator arms are attached to the ailerons
of Extras (Extra 230's in particular). From what I can see the bracket is
attached with two bolts to the aileron spar. I'm wondering what these screw
into. Are there blind nuts on the other side of the spar or are there
ordinary locking nuts (which would mean the fabric on the aileron would need
to be opened up to remove the bolts).

I spotted what appears to be a small crack running along the radius of one
of the actuator arms yesterday. It may be a scratch where someone has
scratched off the paint in order to allow an inspection of the bare metal
however I can't remember seeing it before so we will do a dye penetrant
check today.

The aluminium variety of these actuator arms have a history of cracking and,
as such, have an AD which requires regular inspections. Replacement with
steel arms cancels the AD. I have the steel actuator arms.

I'll let the group know what we find out.

Best regards,

Ian