ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Extra aileron actuator arm attachment

From: Ian Scott <ian.scott at ebrevet.nu>

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:28:43 UTC

Message:

  Hello again,

Results of the inspection show that its a scratch not a crack. Someone has
scratched the paint off the bracket in and around the radius, probably to
ease inspections, with something sharp that has left the scratch. My
mechanic friend advised polishing out the scratches to a mirror surface as
the scratches can apparently eventually become the start of a real crack.

I suspect it hasn't been noticed before because I don't usually look inside
the radius but on the surface around the radius (I spotted it while lying on
my back under the wing wiping smoke oil off the underside...a tip for newbie
paraffin based smoke oil users...switch off the smoke as you fall backwards
in a tailslide...I forgot to do this and the entire aircraft from spinner to
tail, top to bottom, and wing-tip to wing-tip - including the canopy - got
liberally coated in oil...one bonus, at least my new tailwheel has stopped
squeeking!)

That's all folks,

Ian