ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Extra aileron actuator arm attachment

From: "Paul B. Stambaugh" <pstambau at yahoo.com>

Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 05:34:49 UTC

Message:

  Another way for having an inspection hole is to
cut/burn the hole in the fabric and then use a high
quality "sign vinyl" as used on vehicle advertisement.
This will allow frequent inspections and/or
maintainance.

--- Philipp Hilker <philipp at mtb-hilker.de> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> sorry to offer you just a guess, but since you won't
> have a bolt locking eg.
> safetywire on the outside, you will need a
> selflocking nut or drilled bold
> with cotter pin and castle nut on the inside.
>
> That's the engineering side. Walter won't have done
> it any other way.
>
> But if you are a patient guy, you may use the
> following technique with
> simple tools:
>
> Locate the front edge of the spar
>
> Take a large coin (at least 1 1/2 inch better 2) or
> jam glass cap and draw a
> circle around the position of the nut.
>
> Remove the paint within that circle. The paint will
> be aprox. 0.4 to 0.6
> millimeter , so you may use a sharp blade like used
> my scaleplane builders .
> Once you got a start, you will be able to remove the
> paint easily without
> hurting the fabric. All this will you do to recover
> it later with a small
> round patch of fabric.
>
> Now you may already  apply new ceconite super seam
> fabric cement. This  you
> do so early because after cutting the need hole into
> the fabric the edges
> would bend more in- or outward.
>
> Let is dry for half an hour and than cut your hole.
> It just needs to have
> the size of  your wrench.
>
> Take some adhesive tape and add it to the wrench.
> From the outside you might
> have to reduce the outer diameter of the nut-wrench
> to fit it onto the
> bolthead within the bracket.
>
> From their on it's a ball game. Disassemble bolts
> and nuts. The large washer
> on the inside will probably stay at the spare due to
> sticking to the paint
> on the wood. Else you will have to catch it with a
> srewdriver and some
> sticky tape before it false down and rolls away. If
> it happens use a
> clothwrapped magnet to bring it to your hole.
>
> Assemble every thing again, use a new selflocking
> nut and place a pinked
> patch over your hole.
>
> After that apply for a job as gynecologist and you
> might be able to pay for
> your 230 AND  a twoholer.
>

> Now I got to start my old jodel to Juist a small
> island in the northern sea.
>
> Mit Hals- und Beinbruch
>
> Philipp Hilker
>
> Pitts S2a  D-EXPH
> Jodel D117a D-EACI
> Lo-100 D-7163
>
> based in EDKD

=====
Paul Stambaugh - IAC Chapter 88
Pitts S1-S  N34RM "Psycho Therapy"
SkyTours Aerobatics - The Ultimate Aerobatic Experience
www.skytoursaerobatics.8m.com
Ann Arbor, MI & Toledo, OH
Phone: Days, Office (810)-986-0389, Evenings (419) 269-0626
Cell:  248-705-8495