ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Aerobatics Now Illegal In Canada

From: "Andrew Boyd" <aboyd at igs.net>

Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 03:07:58 UTC

Message:

  According to Canadian Aviation Regulation (CAR) 602.27(c) flight
visibility of 3 miles is required to perform an aerobatic maneuver in
Canada.  Ok.

According to CAR 101.01(1) Flight Visibility is defined as "the visibility
forward from the cockpit of an aircraft in flight".  Sure.

So far, so good.

However, I have in my possession a statement by a Transport Canada Aviation
(think Canadian FAA) Enforcement Supervisor that this 3 miles flight
visibility
out the front cockpit must be available DURING EVERY INSTANT of an
aerobatic maneuver.

Let's think about the implications of this for a moment.  If we commence any
vertical aerobatic maneuver - say, a loop - at the minimum altitude
specified
by CAR 602.27(d) - 2,000 AGL - then if our loop has a diameter of 1,000 feet
then when we are 2,500 AGL we can reasonably expect to be vertical, pointed
straight up.

At this instant, according to Transport Canada Enforcement, we still need
3 miles flight visibility.  This means no cloud ceiling less than 3 miles or
18,000 feet directly above us.

So, to perform a loop in Canada, you now need a cloud ceiling of at least
2,500 + 18,000 = 20,500 AGL.

Passing through the inverted, life is good.  We have 3 miles flight
visibility
horizontally.

However, things get sticky on the vertical downline of our nice round loop.

At 2,500 AGL we can logically be expected to be pointed straight down
at the ground.

Oops.  Transport Canada Aviation Enforcement wants us to have 3 miles
flight visibility at this instant, too, and we only have 2.500 feet (to the
ground)
or less than 1/2 mile.  That's IFR, according to Transport Canada Aviation
Enforcement.

So, on the vertical downline, we need to have 18,000 feet between us and
the ground.  This means that we must now commence a loop in Canada at
no lower than 17,500 AGL.

Oops.  If we start a loop at 17,500 AGL we now need to have a cloud ceiling
of no less than 36,000 AGL.

Of course, we will also need oxygen for the pilot, and a turbocharger for
the
engine, and a waiver for the class A airspace that we will be in, VFR
performing
aerobatics to keep Transport Canada Aviation Enforcement happy.

The above being perhaps theoretically possible, but practically unlikely,
aerobatics - at least, aerobatics involving vertical lines - are now
effectively
illegal in Canada, unless you wish to run afoul of Transport Canada Aviation
Enforcement, which is really not a good idea.

Looking on the bright side, I guess you can still do a steep turn with more
than
60 degrees of bank, though.

--
aboyd at igs.net   ATP