ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: HAMMERS REVISITED

From: "Peter Ashwood-Smith"<petera at nortelnetworks.com>

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 04:41:06 UTC

Message:

Like hitting a golf ball or a really nice tennis serve... how do you explain
it to somebody else!

One piece of advice that cropped up from your post was the idea of watching
the point off your wingtip as it rotates around your cockpit to the other
side. I was not actually doing this but simply looking over the nose as it
rotated. Yesterday I tried a bunch where I followed the point all the way up
and over my head and down the other side. Worked much better and it's a
simple matter to adjust elevator to stop it from moving downward. If you
were really paranoid you could put a line of tape at the top of the canopy
where the point should pass overhead.

Its interesting that none of the tips that I found useful are in any the
acro books I have. Mike Goulians book is quite vague on the subject.

Anyway by way of summary:

-	on the upline wait as long as possible before kick. Use aileron
feel, total aileron deflection and total rudder deflection and feel. When
they feel REALLY mushy or you run out of one control its time to kick.

-	when kicking, keep the aileron in, watch the point on your wingtip
as it rotates over your head, use down elevator to keep that point from
moving out of the proper plane of rotation.

This idea of watching the point as it rotates around is also FAR safer than
the 'put the stick in the corner' approach that I've heard described.
Obviously if you are watching that point and can keep it +/- the critical
AOA degrees from that line, you should not be able to spin off the top.

Really enjoyed this thread.

Cheers,

Peter