ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] RE: HAMMERS REVISITED

From: Franko Allan <allan.franko at cancerboard.ab.ca>

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:16:04 UTC

Message:

Peter Ashwood-Smith wrote:

> This idea of watching the point as it rotates around is also FAR safer
> than the 'put the stick in the corner' approach that I've heard
> described.

Ahem.  As the person who described "put the stick in the corner" on this
thread, I think I need to respond.  My post described what MY airplane
needs to pivot cleanly.  It was not a general prescription for
hammerhead success.

What is unsafe about this?  If the plane doesn't do what you expect, you
snap off the throttle and centralize the controls.  If you know this and
STILL get into an inadvertent spin, you're way behind the airplane and
probably don't have enough talent to fly aerobatics safely.

Allan Franko