ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Federal Airway/aerobatics question

From: Stephen Seidel <thinairltd at earthlink.net>

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:10:09 UTC

Message:

Bill

As stated in the AIM 3-2-6-e-1 titled Federal Airways found on page
3-2-9
The Federal airways are class E airspace areas and , unless otherwise
specified, extends upward from 1,200 feet to but not including, 18,000
MSL. The colored airways are green, red, amber, and blue. The VOR
airways are classified as Domestic, Alaskan, and Hawaiian.

Also see FAR 71.75 Subpart E, Class E airspace,  Extent of Federal
Airways Page 119-120

Also, 71.75.c.2  States; The airspace of a federal airway, within the
lateral limits of a class E airspace area with a lower limit, has the
floor coincident with the floor of that area.

MEA is an altitude that insures obstacle clearance and proper radio
navigation reception. It doesn't define the airway. The class E airspace
extends upward from 1,200' agl  to18k msl .

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers

Stephen Seidel
IAC/ACA 24153