ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Decathlon battery/starter

From: Kathy Lankford <larkbunting at juno.com>

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:08:00 UTC

Message:

  Seems like I just bought that new Concord gel cell and it's already
pretty dead.  The last one didn't last long either - maybe two years if I
eke the very last out of it.   For the last six months, even with a full
charge, I have to bump the prop against the compression stroke three or
four times before it finally goes all the way over.  I can get it over
compression twice, and if the engine hasn't caught by then, it has to be
pushed back to the hangar for charging.

I've seen a battery that's older than dirt starting a Piper Archer.  Is
there some reason to expect such a short life on a Decathlon battery?
Has anyone tried switching to a light weight starter, and does it help?

Kathy

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.