ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Decathlon battery/starter

From: Gil & Phyl Tellier <giltel at earthlink.net>

Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 06:37:12 UTC

Message:

  Kathy,
I get 3 years on a B&C 17 AH sealed lead acid battery, alternator and starter
in a Pitts S-1S with 180 hp engine. On third battery I just recently changed
to their new 16 AH battery that has improved cranking current and because the
prop turnover was slowing slightly on current  battery that was approaching 4
years old. Voltage during cranking reads ~10 vdc. I use dedicated #4 ground
and positive lines to the starter and insure that all connections are clean
and bright copper color. A gel cell battery must be charged at the correct
voltage and discharge to low voltage should be avoided. I use an
electronically controlled battery charger that shuts down at the correct
charging voltage and can be left attached indefinitely. If cranking voltage
to the starter is low but remains high at the battery your starting relay may
need replacing.
Gil Tellier, IAC Ch. 49