ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Fuselage/wing on monoplanes?

From: "Brian Denk" <akroguy at hotmail.com>

Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 15:51:54 UTC

Message:

>From: "Andre Ronnberg" <andre.ronnberg at ronema.inet.fi>
>To: <acro at gf24.de>
>Subject: [Acro] Fuselage/wing on monoplanes?
>Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:46:33 +0300
>
>Hello group,
>this might be a stupid question but this has bothered me for a long time!
>Are all monoplane (aerobatic, like Laser, Extra, Zivko Edge, One Design
>etc) wings one piece, or are any of them in two pieces. I mean on planes
>with tube fuselage and wood/composite wing! How is the fuselage
>constructed, is there a opening that could be easily opened, later for
>removing the wing, if it is one piece!
>Would apreciate if somebody could help me!
>
>Andre Ronnberg

On these type of aircraft, the wing is typically one single structure, based
on a single, full-span spar that carries through the fuselage.  This main
wing spar attaches via close tolerance bolts through weldment bosses in the
fuselage truss structure.  The spar either inserts into the fuselage from
the top or bottom depending on whether it's a midwing or low wing design.
The wing can be removed after various skins, panels and control linkages are
removed from the airframe.

Brian Denk
RV8 driver