ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: Has anyone used the Panther Micro E ...

From: "Olga M. M. Mitchell" <olgammm at comcast.net>

Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:51:31 UTC

Message:

  I purchased a Panther headset in January and have been using it in my
Decathlon and have also used it a couple of times while instructing in
other planes.  On a radio check, I always get "loud and clear".  However,
I've been told by my friends that the transmissions are intelligible but
sound a bit hollow.  I've had trouble on occasion getting a good seal
between my ear and the earpiece that has the mike built into it.  (I've
been using mineral oil.)    A poor seal results in noise pickup.  This is
particularly annoying on the intercom when I'm instructing.  I just talked
to the folks at Panther and they suggested a couple of things to try to get
a better seal--A&D ointment, chapstick.

I've had an intermittent problem with the mike.  On two occasions, I was
not able to transmit.  Panther has agreed to have me ship it back at their
expense.  However, I have decided to hold off shipping it back unless I get
another failure.  It may be that the channel leading to the mike in the
earpiece was blocked by ear wax.  Yesterday and today it worked fine.

I really like the freedom of not having to wear a bulky headset and boom
mike--it will simplify wearing a helmet.  The ambient noise attenuation is
acceptable but I don't think that it's quite as good as my Lightspeed ANR
headset--not sure.  The hardware arrangement is very good.  It's easy to
find a place to mount the small (and light) electronics box that's between
the earpieces and the mike/phone plugs.

More later when I try out the sealing goops.

Olga Mitchell
IAC #14229