ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] ICAS & Aerobatic Cometency Cards

From: Dleedom at aol.com

Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 12:03:22 UTC

Message:

Hi folks,
Just checking, am I the only one upset by these ICAS folks?
How is it that a non-government, for profit company, International Council of
Air Shows (ICAS), has a monopoly on aerobatic competency cards paper work?
Two years ago they charged $50, last year it was raised to $90 and this year
$200!!  Further more it take them less than 10 minutes* to enter the paper
work and forward it to the FSDO who actually issues the 8710-7, "Statement of
Aerobatic Competency" card. However, unless you pay them an EXTRA $50 they
will sit on the paper work for 30 days before forwarding it to the FSDO.
There is no other way to get a card (which is required to perform in any
airshow) except by dealing with ICAS. The $200 fee is grossly exorbitant for
10 minutes work and the $50 to have them not sit on it for a month is
extortion.
On top of the fees paid to ICAS you must also pay an ACE (Aerobatic
Competency Evaluator) for the evaluation. This is not my complaint, the ACE
must spend his/her time (several hours), evaluate, sign their name and take
responsibility. The standard charge for most ACE evaluations is $150. A full
$100 less than ICAS demands you pay, if you want your paper work forwarded to
the Feds in less than a month, for 10 minutes of secretarial work.
I doubt this whole racket would pass the "legal" test but it's such a few
folks (getting fewer all the time!) who it effects that they will probably
keep getting by with it unless we really start a revolt. Funny, airshows are
being killed by a few airshow folks.... I doubt the big name performers are
really that threatened by folks with 500' cards flying little airshows for
fun. If anything it is getting more folks interested in watching airshows.
Sorry folks, I just had to vent.
Keep'em Flyin,

Dave Leedom
Pitts S-2A

*10 minutes, proven just last week in the time it took from the ACE paperwork
faxed to ICAS to the time faxed approval from ICAS arrived at the FSDO, with
the extra $50 fee paid of course.