ACRO E-mail Archive Thread: [Acro] Re: ICAS - Fees

From: Klein Gilhousen <kleing at qualcomm.com>

Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:36:05 UTC

Message:

  At 03:10 PM 5/22/2002 -0400, Dleedom at aol.com wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>It's the knuckle head here that started this food fight again.
>I agree the Feds should be doing it. However, in the post 9-11
>environment, trying to wean the FAA from a program that runs its self, the
>FAA can place demands on with no cost to them and is already in place is a
>pipe dream. All of this so about 350 of us can participate in an activity
>that the press and lots of tax payers see as crazy, irresponsible, unsafe,
>expensive and noisy.

Whatever we do, we're better off to keep the FAA out of it, IMHO.

>Some folks doing airshows for charities and local home town crowds others
>making their livings from it.
>[.............]
>How about some posts with constructive ideas on how to increase
>participation in contest and airshows?

I'd like to see ICAS try to make it easier for IAC members (who are also
maybe ICAS members) to participate in charity events and home town
airshows, etc.  Where I live in Montana, we have a nice sized airshow
(including ICAS performers) about every five years.  There seems to be one
airshow per year in Montana and it rotates around the larger towns (I
hesitate to call them cities.)  Many of my flying friends have asked me why
I don't fly in the local airshow.  A neighboring town has an annual fly-in
hosted by the Montana Antique Airplane Association.  They've asked me the
same question.  The answer is, of course, that I don't have an Aerobatic
Competency card and it is just too much trouble to get one.  The nearest
ACE evaluator that I know of is at least 250 nm away.  Then there's the
insurance, etc, etc.

What I'd like to know is why can't ICAS have a program specifically
designed for IAC members to get a card with an appropriate set of
limitations that would accommodate the above (and possibly other
issues)?  I know I'd be willing to accept limitations as to number of shows
per year, fees charged (expenses only), altitudes and maneuvers appropriate
to the level of IAC competition I've been involved in, etc.  Maybe it could
be as simple as the applicant sends in the previous season's competition
records (along with fees, etc) and is issued an Aerobatic Competency card
with a corresponding set of limitations.  Maybe what I'm describing might
be called the "ICAS, Amateur Division".  Other motor sports such as auto
and motorcycle racing have such things.  Why not aerobatics?

Klein Gilhousen
IAC 21489  (not an ICAS member, but I'd join for an AC card)
Bozeman, MT